As a new parent, you have many decisions to make. Breastfeed or bottle feed? Home birth or hospital birth? Organic clothing for babies or whatever looks the cutest? So many options can make you want to do the bolt.
The Biggest Decision For Your Baby’s Bottom
When it comes to nappies, the decision you’ll need to make is: Disposable or cloth? The general parenting population has both good things and not-so-good-things to say about both types. Cloth nappies have less of an impact on the environment, while disposable nappies are super-absorbent and easy to use. But both are there to do the same job and can be covered with cute-as-can-be bloomers.
If you have no idea which type of nappies to choose, we’ve compiled a general list of pros and cons to each to give you a head start when trying to decide.
Disposable nappies are great for quick changes and travel. Perfect for the busy Mum with little time on her hands.
• Convenient and easy to use.
• High absorption rates help prevent rashes.
• No washing or drying required.
• Available just about everywhere you go.
• Many come in biodegradable and organic options.
• Not as friendly to the environment; can contribute to landfill.
• Higher cost associated over time.
• Methane released from solids in the soiled nappies can contribute to greenhouse gasses.
• Chemicals and materials might irritate baby’s skin.
Cloth nappies are friendly to the earth and as natural as can be. Perfect for the earth-conscious crowd.
• No chemicals or plastics involved in the manufacturing process.
• Less of an environmental impact.
• Are more cost-effective over time.
• Available in a wide range of colours and designs.
• Washing at home keeps them out of the landfill.
• They cannot be thrown away; they must be washed.
• Initial cost is higher.
• Extra time and care must be taken when washing to ensure sanitation.
• Difficult to manage when travelling.
There is no right or wrong answer when it comes to the personal choices you make for your baby. There are no perfect parents in the world, and everyone makes mistakes. Sometimes organic clothing for babies works great for one family, not as much for another. Breastfeeding for some Mums is a sinch, but impossible for others. The important thing to do is give bub plenty of love. The rest will follow.